POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Let me be one of the first... : Re: Let me be one of the first... Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Let me be one of the first...
From: Bob H
Date: 28 Nov 2000 10:45:42
Message: <3a23d326$1@news.povray.org>
"Dave Cook" <nospam.davepc2@netdave.,com> wrote in message
news:3a23019d@news.povray.org...
> But you can't do:
>
> light_source{<0, 0, 0> color rgb 0.045
>  glow {size 0.4 type 0}
>  fade_distance 4 fade_power 2 translate 10*y}
>
> Is this correct? If so, that's going to be the problem with this scene.
> Remco created the tree by creating the branches and ornaments one at a time,
> then translating them into the proper position. The original idea, of
> course, was to add the lights to the branches along with the ornaments, but
> this won't work given the way that the things are.

Yep, same situation I encountered, almost.  I had simply replaced the lights with
glows in order to speed up
rendering.  I had to put the transformation into each glow statement (not all that
many anyhow) instead of the
union of each while loop segment.

> Is anyone else as confused as I am? Is the glow is an attribute of the light
> source object, not an object itself? How can you specify the location of the
> light source and not be able to translate it? And why can you translate the
> glow if it's an attribute? Ouch, my brain just siezed up!

I understand there's some stumbling block as of yet.  What I didn't understand is what
you just said.  j/k
glows are independent creatures far as I know.  Double up on those transformations for
now.

Bob